President and Principal of SM Gallant
Organization and leadership development: Helping leaders and organizations grow, change, and adapt.
Susan synthesizes and integrates a range of theories, models, techniques, and tools from a variety of disciplines; then creatively and pragmatically employs what is most likely to be useful. She has partnered with clients and colleagues in various consulting, coaching, teaching, and learning environments. Her clients have been at all levels of the system and across diverse sectors; ranging from large for-profit multinational corporations to owners of small businesses; as well as government, health care and not-for-profit. Susan has coached, consulted, or trained internationally, with in-country experiences in Austria, Canada, Ethiopia, Kenya, Lebanon, Lithuania, Mexico, Trinidad, US Virgin Islands, and across the continental United States; and virtual experiences in South America, Europe and the Middle East, and Asia Pacific (primarily China.)
Adjunct faculty in the School of Leadership Studies at Fielding Graduate University with a focus on organization and leadership development; and University of Virgin Islands PhD program in Creative leadership for Innovation and Change.
Senior Faculty Member NTL Institute of Applied Behavioral Science
Member of Global Leadership Development and Organization Development (GLDOD) hub. Collaborates on the design and delivery of experiences that impact human and organization development. Believes that human and technological development must keep pace with each other. Has developed curriculum, designed training programs, developed and written support materials and provided training, coaching, supervision, and consulting. Program delivery has been through public programs, degree programs, and internal and external certification programs. Topcis include: group dynamics, organization change, diversity, consulting skills, coaching, emotional intelligence, leadership, complexity, and more.
President and Principal Lapis Consulting
Lapis was founded as a consulting, training, and coaching firm specializing in organizational effectiveness. The focus of the work was helping clients to create organizations that flourish in complex and diverse environments. Clients have been large and small, and in health care, manufacturing, education, human resources, government, engineering, and various community groups.
As the founder, president, and principal, Susan managed all aspects of this business. This includes: sales, marketing, business development, staffing, budgeting, project management, client relationships, assessing results and integrating customer feedback in order to improve services.
Consultant, Elsie Y. Cross Associates Philadelphia based firm specializing in organizational change with a focus on managing diversity. As a member of a diverse staffing team, Susan provided consultation and diversity training primarily to Fortune 500 organizations. After data collection, we provided education and awareness training, in tandem with helping to organize, plan, implement and evaluate large system change programs and projects.
Process Engineering Manager
Responsible for surface mount modules interconnect technology and advanced technology development in manufacturing facility. This included managing and streamlining new product design and introduction of a surface mount line. Susan managed a transition toward concurrent engineering effort between new products, process, design, manufacturing and quality. Success was achieved through developing and leading a diverse high performance team that was focused on excellence and TQM.
Designed, developed, and delivered tools and processes to link training and education to business needs and goals, and to ensure optimal utilization of human resources. Engineering was primary focus.
Human Resources Manager
Managed the operations of a 23-person Human Resource Department in manufacturing environment. Leadership included providing excellence in compensation, benefits, administration, employee relations, health services, employment, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), and training and organization development.
Registered Nurse (RN)
Held a variety of positions including: occupational health, step-down cardiac care, medical-surgical, rehabilitation, long term care (nursing home), and home health. Clinical supervisor and taught medical-surgical nursing.
- Doctor of Education (Ed.D.), Boston University
- Master of Education (M.Ed.), Plymouth State College
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.N.), University of Maine
- Executive Development Program, University of New Hampshire, Whittemore School of Business and Economics (sponsored)
- Professional Certified Coach (PCC) through International Coach Federation (ICF)
Licenses & Certification
- Certified Professional Co-Active Coach (CPCC), Coaches Training Institute
- Registered Professional Nurse – License Number: R018965
- Reiki II certified
- BLS Healthcare ProviderCoachesTraining Institute (CTI)
- Coaching for Leadership Agility
- Healing Science, Barbara Brennan School of Healing
- Leadership Circle Profile (360), OPM 360, FIRO B, others
- Lean Manufacturing, Maine MEP
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator
- Gallant, Susan. Is This Coaching? Holding the Role Boundaries. 2013.
- Gallant, Susan and Rios, Daisy. The Organization Development (OD) Consulting Process. In Revised NTL Handbook of Organization Development and Change. San Francisco: CA. Pfeiffer, 2014.
- Gallant, Susan M. The Mechanic Meets the Gardener. Falmouth, ME: Town Landing Press, 2012. (Award)
- Gallant, Susan and Rios, Daisy. Entry and Contracting Phase. In The NTL Handbook of Organization Development and Change. San Francisco: CA: Pfeiffer, 2006, pages 177-191.
- Hayes, S. and Gallant, S.M. Saying Goodbye to Joe. Self-published hospice pamphlet, 2002.
- Gallant, Susan M. Cultural Assumptions in Cross-Cultural Relations. In Reading Book for Human Relations Training, (8th Ed.). Alexandria, VA: NTL Institute for Applied Behavioral Science, 1999, pages103-109.
- Gallant, Susan M. Evaluation of a Hospital Based Employee Health Promotion Program. Dissertation, Boston University, 1986.
- ODN (National Organization Development Network)
- NTL (National Training Institute)
- ICF (International Coach Federation)
- Maine Coaches Connection (co-founder)
- ICPA (Institute Coaching Professionals Assoc.)
- 100+ Women Who Care
- Maine Peace Singers (co-founder)
- Manager as Coach: Expanding your Toolkit. Maine Management Summit, Sugarloaf, October 2016.
- Ethics: Cases, Conflict, Conversations, & Conduct. ICF New England, Maine Event, Portland, Maine, June 2016.
- Back to Basics… ICF New England, Maine Event, Portland, Maine, March 2016.
- Stamina for Life Long Leadership, Lift360 Conference, Portland, Maine, 2014
- Coaching for Lean Leaders and Change Agents, 2014 Lean Systems Summit – Northeast, August 2014
- Is This Coaching? Or Something Else? ICFNE Maine Chapter, September 9, 2013
- The Mechanic Meets the Gardener: Worldview and Impact on OD. OD Network 2013 Conference, Oct 7, 2013, San Jose, CA; poster session.
- The Mechanic Meets the Gardener: Engaging Creativity. 2013 Maine Human Resources Convention. Samoset, Camden Maine, May 9, 2013.
- Leading Transformational Change in Lean Initiatives. 2010 Lean Systems Summit – Northeast, August 12-13, 2010, Eastland Park Hotel, Portland, Maine.